Today is World Sight Day, and what better way to celebrate than with a company who is determined to change the statistics when it comes to your peepers? TOMS Eyewear is known for quality products with a purpose — their slogan “One for One” has transcended into the realm of eyewear, and we couldn’t be happier to have such a conscientious brand to share with you.
Just to give you a glimpse at how rampant visual impairment is, WHO and VISION2020 have established some scary stats:
- About 285 million people are visually impaired worldwide.
- 39 million people are blind.
- 19 million children are visually impaired.
- About 90 percent of the world’s visually impaired people live in developing countries.
- Globally, uncorrected refractive errors (often correctable with glasses) are the main cause of visual impairment.
- Cataracts are the leading cause of blindness.
Always the innovator, TOMS Eyewear is going above and beyond their typical charitable ways and on the morning of World Sight Day, through its lead sight-giving partner, Seva Foundation, TOMS is partnering with Helen Keller International’s domestic program, ChildSight, in New York City to help give sight to children in need. More than 200 students at a middle school in downtown Manhattan will have their vision tested, and more than 50 of them will receive new prescription glasses. To bring the day to a close, TOMS’ will end with a private, one night only event in downtown Austin, Texas at Symphony Square. TOMS has curated a special gallery exhibit with some of the art world’s most interesting names showing World Sight Day-inspired works. Get involved and check out what you can do to join TOMS in their effort to save your peepers.